Sustaining the Gains
Sadly, too often the gains made by implementing an improvement are not sustained once the Team leaves the scene. The causes often relate to:
- The solution is seen as too complex
- Lack of ongoing support by the Sponsor
- Lack of ongoing support in the work area
- The change is not seen as irreversible so old habits can continue.
- Lack of recognition and reward for people as they change their behaviours
- Lack of proper metrics to show the improvement and its benefits
A properly managed improvement will take all these factors into account during the implementation and prevent them occurring.